Halloween Skulls Paper Cut-outs (item #33453), Scissors or Craft knife, Paper towels, Rubbing alcohol, Assorted glass and/or white ceramic plates in a variety of sizes
Note: You can find Martha Stewart Crafts Halloween Skulls Paper Cut-outs (item #33453) exclusively at Michaels.
- Thoroughly wash plate in warm soapy water, rinse well and towel dry. Moisten paper towel with rubbing alcohol and wipe each plate to remove excess dirt, grease or remaining soap residue.
- Plan color scheme for plate considering base color and/or trim color. Basecoat paint using Wedding Cake, Pollen or Beetle Black. Allow to dry and reapply until opaque. When painting glassware or ceramics you may find it easier to basecoat using the Gloss Spray Paint Kit which will eliminate brush stroke marks.
- Prepare paper cut-outs by removing them from carrier sheet. If desired, cut excess background away using scissors or a craft knife.
- Using a soft bristle decoupage bush, apply one even, smooth coat of Gloss Decoupage Finish to the surface.
- Apply a second smooth, even application of decoupage finish to the backside of the paper cut-out.
- Apply the decoupage paper to the surface positioning finish to finish. Press paper cut-out onto the surface, smoothing from the center towards the edges of the cut-out. This will remove trapped air pockets and excess decoupage finish. Wipe away excess finish with damp paper towel.
- Continue adding paper cut-out to the surface until the entire decoupage design is achieved.
- Once in place and smooth, allow to dry 2 hours.
- When completely dry, brush a smooth application of decoupage finish over the entire surface being sure to seal all edges of the paper. Allow to dry 2 hours.
- Brush a second coat of decoupage finish over the entire surface and allow to dry 2 hours. NOTE: If decoupage item will serve a purpose other than decorative only, a third top application of decoupage finish may be required.
- Project surface should be cured prior to using. Air dry project for 21 days to cure.