Mother’s Day Charms in Frame
By: Chris Myer Williams
Chris Myer Williams
I have always found comfort and happiness when I was busy designing and creating. I have many interests and talents and often I am torn when deciding which art medium to work creatively in. Decorative painting is my first love; however, I also enjoy stenciling, jewelry making, sewing, crochet, needlework of all kinds, cooking, card making, faux finishes, decorating and gardening. Working in the craft and hobby industry for many years, I have enjoyed the pleasures of traveling, teaching, and sharing with others basic crafting how-tos! Currently, I am employed as the Marketing Education Director at Plaid. My career journey to this day, is still allowing me the gift of sharing with others the joys of crafting and finding their creative spirits! I hope that our creative paths may cross one day. Until then... happy creating!
Memories … all moms want to capture every memory of her children especially when they grow up so fast! Create for mom a special frame completed with photo charms and add a little glitter using Sparkle Mod Podge!
THIS PROJECT FEATURES THESE GREAT BRANDS:
Mod Podge ® 7 Piece Tool Kit
All of the tools you need to Podge it up, in one cool little case! Two pairs of scissors, a squeegee, ruler, emery board and a brush are all zipped up in a cute Podge orange or pink pouch. Your supplies are ready to travel with you!
Mod Podge ® Podgeable Metal Blanks
Mod Podge ® Podgeable Metal Blanks are the perfect surface for creating a variety of jewelry pieces. Set includes Traditional shapes – round, oval, rectangle, square
in multiple sizes and finishes. Each blank has a bail and/or a loop for easy attaching
Mod Podge ® Podgeable Designer Charms
Add 'charming' accents to your next mixed media or jewelry project. Add embellishments to jewelry pieces. Includes two each of seventeen unique charms.
FolkArt ® Acrylic Colors - Wicker White, 2 oz.
Premium, all-purpose acrylic paint for decorative crafts and home decor. Superior coverage. Exceptional brushability. Use on all porous surfaces. All colors are certified AP non-toxic, water-based, and acid neutral.
FolkArt ® Acrylic Colors - Licorice, 2 oz.
Premium, all-purpose acrylic paint for decorative crafts and home décor. Superior coverage. Exceptional brushability. Use on all porous surfaces. All colors are certified AP non-toxic, water-based, and acid neutral.
Mod Podge ® Sparkle, 8 oz.
Add a touch of sparkle to your decoupage projects! Waterbase formula dries fast & clear, holds tight, protects and gives a smooth finish. Great for all-around crafts and kid's projects. Mod Podge ® is an all in one decoupage glue, sealer and finish.
Mod Podge ® Dimensional Magic, 2 oz.
Create faux mosaic, quilt and other textures with added dimension. Dries clear and allows the full color of the surface below to show through. Works with Mod Podge, acrylic paint, dyes, pigments and more. Stay put formula won’t sag or run. Perfect for jewelry, paper crafting and accenting home décor items.
6 ½” x 7” Wood frame
Brush Basin or container for water
Fine grit sandpaper
Photo copies of your child’s favorite photos
Solid color cardstock - red
¼” Iridescent ribbon
Text printed from computer printer
“you are my sunshine”
white craft glue or hot glue / gun
1. Lightly sand all sides of wood frame. Basecoat Wicker White on all sides using ¾” flat brush. Allow to dry and reapply.
2. Basecoat Licorice on the photo opening of the frame.
3. While waiting for basecoat to dry, trim photo copies to fit metal charms. Also cut Mod Podge scroll design paper to fit front of frame. Cut one oval paper frame.
4. Brush Sparkle Mod Podge onto the wood surface as well as the back side of the Mod Podge paper using a ¾” flat brush.
5. Center the paper on the wood frame and press in place. Next place a sheet of waxed paper over your papered project surface. Using your Mod Podge squeegee, press and drag the squeegee over the paper from the center towards the edges to remove any excess medium as well as release any air pockets. Remove waxed paper.
6. Continue using same techniques to adhere photo copies to metal charms. When dry, fill metal charm with Dimensional Magic. Drop a metal charm heart into wet Dimensional Magic and allow to dry.
7. Mod Podge oval frame to red cardstock and allow to dry.
8. Trim red cardstock leaving a halo of red color. Mod Podge oval frame to bottom center of frame. Add text “you are my sunshine”
9. Apply a coat or two of Sparkle Mod Podge over entire frame allowing each application to thoroughly dry before applying next.
10. Embellish text with Dimensional Magic and allow to dry.
11. Use Craft Glue to secure black felt to photo opening mat.
12. Tie small bows at charm loop using ¼” iridescent ribbon. Secure ribbon to back side of felt.
13. Complete project by assembling black felt mat in frame.
Disclaimer: The information found in each project is presented in good faith, but no warranty is given, nor results guaranteed, nor is freedom from any patent to be inferred. Since we have no control over physical conditions surrounding the application of information herein contained, Plaid Enterprises, Inc. disclaims any liability for untoward results.
Important: Please be sure to thoroughly read the instructions for all products, paying particular attention to all cautions and warnings shown to ensure the proper and safe use of the product.
Copyright: All Rights Reserved. No part of this Project may be reproduced in any form without permission in writing, except for your personal use, except by reviewer, who may in reviewing this project, quote brief passages in a magazine or newspaper.