How shall I prepare a surface for gilding?
Surface preparation will vary based on the surface you're using. Keep reading to learn how to prepare surfaces such as wood, paper mache, tin/metal, terra cotta, glass and ceramics, and other surfaces for use with Martha Stewart Gilding.
- Wood: sand smooth with fine grit sandpaper, wipe away sawdust. Basecoat paint using Martha Stewart Crafts Multi-Surface Acrylic Paint. Allow to dry; sand smooth and reapply basecoat.
- Tin/Metal: Wash with soap and water; wipe with white vinegar-dampened cloth. Basecoat paint using Martha Stewart Crafts Spray Paint Kit and Multi-Surface Acrylic Paint color of choice.
- Paper Mache: Wipe clean with damp cloth and basecoat using Martha Stewart Crafts Multi-Surface Acrylic Paint.
- Terra Cotta: Wipe clean; seal pot interior with paint or two coats of Martha Stewart Crafts Sprayable Satin Enamel Finish.
- Canvas: Wipe primed canvas clean; if unprimed, apply two coats of gesso primer.
- Plastic: Wipe clean with damp cloth.
- Plaster: Wipe clean with damp cloth.
- Glass/Ceramics: Wash with soap and water; wipe with rubbing alcohol-dampened cloth. Let dry 15: 30 minutes.
Add a Comment
You must be logged in to review this item
Click here to login