By: Margaret Riley
Margaret Riley has been an author of many books and magazine articles about crafting, Margaret Riley has also owned two craft and hobby stores; designed, demonstrated, and taught for numerous craft companies; and assisted with the filming of craft-related television shows. She excels in a variety of arts. A resident of Tallahassee, Fla., Margaret enjoys cooking, gardening, and camping.
This angel made from a spool, complete with wings, can spin around a tree.
- FolkArt ® Texture Paint - White, 4 oz.
- FolkArt ® Acrylic Colors - Pure Black, 2 oz.
- FolkArt ® Metallics - Rose, 2 oz.
- FolkArt ® Metallics - Emerald Green, 2 oz.
- FolkArt ® Metallics - Pearl White, 2 oz.
- FolkArt ® Metallics - Blue Pearl, 2 oz.
Old discarded Christmas ball with metal hanger on top
8-inches of 5/8-inch wide white lace
1-1/2-inch wood knobhead
2-inch wood spool
2 1-3/8-inch wood hearts
2-inch piece of miniature greenery garland
18-inches of 1/4-inch wide Fuchsia satin ribbon
12-inches of 1/4-inch wide white chiffon ribbon
3/8” heart button with a shank
12-inches gold cording
2 5/8-inch jingle bells
Hot glue gun and glue sticks
No. 8 flat shader brush
No. 4 round brush
No. 4 fabric round scrubber brush
No. 10/0 liner brush
Palette paper or foam plate
Note: Use flat shader brush for base coating and painting most areas. The scrubber, round, and liner brush will be specified when to be used.
- Basecoat (may take three to four coats) spool and hearts Metallic Pearl White.
- Mix one part Metallic Rose to five parts Metallic Pearl White. Using this mixture, paint knobhead.
- Using scrubber, dip into Metallic Rose. Wipe most of paint onto paper towel. Scrub on cheeks.
- Using stylus, dip into Metallic Blue Pearl. Dot on two eyes being sure the dots are close to each other.
- Using stylus, dip into Metallic Pearl White. Add a dot to top of each cheek.
- Using liner brush, add Pure Black eyebrows.
HAIR (Hint: To apply hair with more ease, place knobhead on top of a dowel the size of the opening hole.)
- Using palette knife, add texture paint for hair. Let dry completely.
- Using round brush, paint a Metallic Emerald Green stripe and a Metallic Rose stripe on each end of spool (refer to photo).
- Using stylus, add dots in a triangle in both colors of Metallic Emerald Green and Metallic Rose.
- Attach ribbon to jingle bells. Place ribbon through hole of spool/body and glue to top of it. The ribbon and bells will dangle for the feet and legs.
- Using needle and thread, gather lace. Glue on top of spool/body to cover glued ribbon ends.
- Glue head to top of gathered lace.
- Form greenery garland into a circle and glue on top of hair/head.
- Remove hanger from old ornament. Flatten out and glue to top of head.
- Glue hearts to backside of body for wings.
- With chiffon ribbon, make two bows and glue one under chin and the other in center of wings on backside of body.
- Remove shank off of heart button and glue to center of bow on wings.
- Loop cording onto hanger and tie knot at ends.
Disclaimer: The information found in each project is presented in good faith, but no warranty is given, nor results guaranteed, nor is freedom from any patent to be inferred. Since we have no control over physical conditions surrounding the application of information herein contained, Plaid Enterprises, Inc. disclaims any liability for untoward results.
Important: Please be sure to thoroughly read the instructions for all products, paying particular attention to all cautions and warnings shown to ensure the proper and safe use of the product.
Copyright: All Rights Reserved. No part of this Project may be reproduced in any form without permission in writing, except for your personal use, except by reviewer, who may in reviewing this project, quote brief passages in a magazine or newspaper.